Circular saws are sturdy handheld power tools; think of a miniature shark in your hand, slashing even the most enduring materials with its powerful jaw. These tools are equipped with tooth-like blades that can gnaw through the thickest wood and metal; and even the toughest, stone or concrete.
Making them a must-have for DIY homeowners, circular saws assist users in tasks exceeding the caliber of hand tools. This may include making a home for your dog, maybe your little girl demanding a princess castle, making the cheeky neighbors jealous on Halloween, and much more.
Advances in technology have molded these devices and made them safe enough to avoid “biting” their user; additionally, newer, more modernistic devices have opened doorways to faster and more efficient construction work.
Like their animate counterparts, these versatile tools have a variety of shapes and sizes.
Each tool is best suited for a specific environment or function. Each device is accompanied by distinct features which facilitate a comfortable cutting experience that aids in laborious jobs.
Choosing the right one can feel like an annoying and exhausting chore, but do not worry because we have got just the right guide for you. We surfed the internet and found just the appropriate circular saws each suited for different purposes.
Top 9 Best Circular Saws - Our Recommended Picks
1. DEWALT 7 ¼ Inch Circular Saw with Electric Brake - Editor's Pick
- DEWALT 7 1/4 circular saw is among the lightest saws in its class (8.8 lbs.)
- Electric brake of the corded circular saw stops the blade after trigger is released
- 15 amp motor of the compact circular saw delivers power for even the toughest applications
- 57degree beveling capacity with stops at 45 degree and 22.5 degree
- Depth of cut capacity of 2 9/16 inch
DeWalt is a tools manufacturing company that started in 1928 with over 98 years of experience.
This company has developed quite a cult of contract workers and homeowners due to consistency in making sturdy power tools that do not disregard comfort in any way.
We have included their 7¼-inch circular saw (DWE575SB), which might be just the best cutting device for you.
DeWalt’s machine provides a buttery smooth experience whether you are dissecting plywood, metallic sheets, ceramics, or plastic; not only that, it is one of the lightest blades in our category, usable by people of all ages and genders.
In addition, it has a powerful 15 amp motor that can carry out even the most arduous of jobs.
This powerful machine can cut to a depth of 2 9/16 inches; it can produce smooth straight cuts at 90 degrees and has bevel stops at 45 and 22.5 degrees for accurate angled cuts.
Its longevity is increased due to its ball bearing lower guard and fancy aluminum base plate. Storage is made effortless due to its portable and compact size; it comes with a premium and reinforced bag for added protection.
This mini-mighty device does not negotiate with the safety of its users; it has a cord protection system to avoid accidental cuts and shocks resulting from cord lesions and wires getting stuck.
Moreover, electric brakes have been added to quickly change blades without any injuries; a dust blower feature has also been introduced to improve visibility and line one sight.
When it comes to durability, ease of usage, and maximum protection, you can not go wrong with DeWalt; whatsoever the job, DeWalt does not let down.
- 5150 RPM motor of DEWALT circular saw delivers power and speed to make the most demanding cuts with ease
- High strength and lightweight magnesium shoe of the corded circular saw provides jobsite durability for long-term cut accuracy
- Optimized rubber overmolded comfort grip of the compact circular saw delivers optimal balance and control
- 0-50 degree bevel capacity allows for aggressive bevel cuts for a multitude of applications
- 6-1/2-inch carbide-tipped blade for cutting 2 times material at 90 degree and 45 degree and more cuts per charge
This power saw is also from DeWalt manufacturers. The reliability of this company has compelled us to select another one of their futuristic machines.
The most noticeable feature of this power tool is its magnesium base plate which offers the highest quality of strength and endurance.
The Overmolded rubber ergonomics present a luxurious, uniform, silk-like touch. Its sleek nifty design feels splendid to handle, regardless you are making aggressive bevel cuts; or more refined linear cuts.
This device will not fail to impress the craftsman in you and will present itself as the “tool of dreams”; its aesthetics do not affect its function in any way. The feeling of holding the instrument is just right as it provides maximum control and balance while chopping away material of any kind.
The DCS31B is the cordless type of saw; powered by 20 volts of lithium-ion batteries. The advantage of using this circular saw over other choices is that, in this one, there is no hassle of tangling your feet in wires or cutting one accidentally. This means it is a superior choice for people who want freedom and movement when working.
Its motor offers high power and a speed of 5150 RPM. This means it can cut through the most stubborn materials with ease. While being affordable, it is also a very lightweight choice, weighing almost 7 lbs.
What’s more exciting is that even if you do manage to somehow damage its sturdy exterior, DeWalt offers a 3-year warranty plan with 1-year free service. Despite all this, if you change your mind, within 90 days, the tool can be returned concerning their money-back guarantee.
- Powerful 15-amp motor delivers 5 300-RPM for greater speed and faster cuts
- 7-1 4-inch carbide-tipped blade included. Spindle lock for easy blade changes.
- 51° bevel capacity with a positive stop at 45° for a wide variety of cuts
- Dust blower keeps line-of-cut free of sawdust for improved visibility
- Safety lock/guarded trigger and power-on indicator minimize accidental starts
SKIL Power Tools are distinguished manufacturers of heavy construction grade machinery now; they usually focus on doing-yourself gizmos mostly.
This time, we have selected a handy little gadget of this experienced establishment for the ease of the users.
Starting with the motor of this tiny yet powerful circular saw, we complement its 15-amp powered fellness; it is the corded variety of power saws where the plug needs to be attached to an electrical grid.
This device can easily cut through wood and associated structures, as well as sheet goods.
It delivers a speed of 5300 RPM for error-free fast cuts and improved maneuverability; the saw also offers a 51° bevel capacity, bevel stops at 45° for better angles when cutting, and a wide variety of cuts.
A machine like this requires high-grade safety features. To overcome this problem, the manufacturers have added a safety lock button. The function of this button is that once it's pressed, the blades will stop rotating and not harm the user while changing them.
It also has a power-on indicator light to reduce accidental starts. A dust blower has also been attached, which keeps your line of sight free of annoying dust and your workbench clear.
Its defining feature is its laser guidance technology. What actually differentiates this one from other laser-guided instruments is the accuracy of this device. It provides a laser-guided grid, onto which the blade can be traced for efficient, straight, and continuous cuts.
This handyman's tool is suited for both novices who want to get their DIY crafting started or seasoned pros for everyday work.
The instrument can provide sufficient power for any type of job; light jobs are no big deal, nor are heavy-duty jobs.
- Rip boards and create plunge cuts in workpieces up to 2.6 inches thick
- Create 45-degree bevel cuts in boards up to 1.85 inches thick
- Variable speed operation goes anywhere from 2000 to 6000 RPM
- Accepts standard 7-1/4-inch miter and circular saw blades with 5/8-inch arbors
- Compatible with the WEN CT9502 100-Inch Track and the WEN CT992F Track Saw Clamps (not included)
WEN products have been in the market for decades; the corporation started in 1951. Their aim has been to supply power tools at a low-end cost to homeowners and DIYers.
WEN has designed and distributed tons of units- including drills, nailers, and especially saws. Wen’s tools are praised by its users for their budget value, attributes, and utility.
It is a corded saw that draws electricity from a socket. A 10-amp motor is included that generates a rotation speed of 5500 RPM; this speed is sufficient for most tasks but perfect for plunge cuts or straight cuts, ripping plywood, shaving doors, and even making your own furnishings.
The added 6 ½ inch blade only adds to its depth of cut, making your plunge cuts even easier; depth controllers further aid this ability. This product features a 12 x 6-5/8 inch base with precision grooves for a smooth experience with no bumps or kickbacks while cutting.
A dust extermination feature is also added. It is present on the back of the tool. This feature is efficient in removing sawdust that obscures vision.
A feature unique to this item is switchable blade settings: setting one for 1/8-inch deep cuts, the other for mainly plunging cuts, and one to simplify blade changes.
- Dual-Field Motor is especially designed for saws; increases cooling and extends tool life
- Lightweight construction (14.2 lbs. without blade, cord and wrench) reduces user fatigue
- Cut Ready depth-of-cut system helps with quick accurate depth adjustments
- 51° bevel allows users to complete a wide variety of cuts
- Integrated saw hook for safe rafter placement
The SPT77W-01 is the second SKILSAW power tool on our list today. This product features a 120 volt, 15-ampere dual field motor; this motor provides adequate power required to carry out most day-to-day tasks and is specially designed to prevent overheating.
This worm drive offers a natural hand position plus an adequate balance liked by most users. It has an aluminum blade, an aluminum guard, and a steel base plate for added strength and long-lasting work life.
Discussing the size of this power tool, it is bigger and a bit bulkier than other devices on the list. However, this attribute is subjective. Some users prefer larger instruments to use for prolonged periods. This is because, for extended laborious jobs, heavier machines usually produce less stress on the arms when making continuous deep cuts or straight cuts. That is why we have included this heavier device in our list.
It has a depth-of-cut system that helps adjust depth quickly and precisely for ½, ¼, ¾, and 2x ply. A 51 degrees bevel allows users to achieve a wide range of cuts. Its safety features include an integrated saw hook so that rafter placement can be done effortlessly.
SKILSAW also provides a 1-year warranty and 30 days of return-back for its loyal customers.
- Left blade SIDEWINDER improves blade and cut line accuracy and visibility
- All-magnesium construction reduces user fatigue and adds durability
- Powerful Dual-Field Motor increases cooling and extends tool life
- Best-in-class torque improves productivity and increases speed of cut
- Extended 56 degree bevel adds capacity for a wider variety of cuts
The SKIL 7 ¼ inch circular saw is another one of our recommendations from SKIL’s corded devices. This saw is mainly credited for delivering a massive power of 1800 watts. The 15-amp motor is sufficient for all types of work.
It has an overall magnesium make, which makes it immune and invulnerable to all kinds of stresses- meaning that this power tool is here to stay. Additionally, it saves you the cost of replacing it or repairing it from time to time.
Being a sidewinder, the SPT67M8-01 is the best in its class for producing high torque and a high speed of 5300 RPM- with this speed, you can cut through nearly any of your desired materials with relative ease. The left-bladed sidewinder improves the visibility and line of cut. Specially produced for left-handed people.
However, for ordinary people, it does the job, pretty well too. It has a 56-degree bevel which will help you make many cuts at different angles, in nooks and crooks.
SKIL is known for its rugged but lightweight power tools, which are versatile in their function. We believe that this device is also a very choosable piece that will exceed your expectations. Especially if you are looking for a great lefty-saw, this choice is as sweet as it gets.
- Magnesium components create a lightweight saw (13.2 lbs.) that is well balanced and job site tough
- Oil bath technology is created with a built-in fan and sealed gear housing to ensure 100% oil surface coating for less maintenance
- Large cutting capacity (2-3/8" at 90°) with positive stops at 22.5°, 45° and 51.5°
- Large cutting capacity (2-3/8" at 90°) with positive stops at 22.5°, 45° and 51.5°
- Makita 5377MG 7-1/4" Magnesium Hypoid Saw
Everyone in the manufacturing industry knows of the name Makita. The deliverance and reliability of power tools from Makita are unmatched.
The best in the industry, Makita’s 5377MG has a powerful 15-amp motor, which is specially designed for commercial-level jobs.
It is built for walls, floors, and roofs, or literally any structure, you name it. Utilizing its hypoid gear power, the instrument delivers a high yield, and high performance. Makita has produced high-quality gears that will not wear readily like its traditional counterparts.
The magnesium-made body has greatly increased the life of the machine. This machine is here to work with you till the end of time. The Oil bath technology further improves this by keeping the device well-oiled for less maintenance.
With the introduction of a built-in fan, heat control has been made better.
Furthermore, to increase cutting capacity the manufacturer has featured depth adjustment setters at 22.5°, 45°, and 51.5°. It can also be used to make better 90-degree cuts.
Rubber ergonomics make the feel of this device divine. It has a retractable hook so that any of your body parts are not harmed, rubber-coated levers to make one-handed adjustments are also included. Buttons are conveniently placed, and their size is commendable.
A wrench has also been attached to the saw; so that blade changing is made quicker. It also has a 10ft long power cable so that your motility is not suppressed, and changes of accidental injuries are reduced. A premium carbide-tipped blade has been included. This will increase your cutting speed even more.
- [ONE-HAND OPERATION] The newly designed slim form factor makes the Worxsaw even lighter and more maneuverable. Grab it with one...
- [2” CUTTING CAPACITY] Made to cut up to 2” thick stock lumber. It’s made for quick rip cuts around the house, too, but...
- [EASY DEPTH ADJUSTMENTS] Just press down the lever and raise or lower the main handle until you’re at the depth you desire for...
- [45 Degree BEVEL CUTS] For artistic or functional end pieces, you can come at your wood from an angle that’s just right
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] Worx tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern...
Specially designed for one-handed operation, the Worxsaw offers elevated maneuverability and easy-on-the-wrist lightweight function. A lifesaver for DIY homeowners or small-time craftsmen who want a power tool that is mobile and compact and can be easily held.
Its 4.5-Amp motor delivers a working speed of 4100 RPM and can easily slice through 2x4s. This speed can match larger saws and does the same function.
Worxsaw is the result of years of well-thought ingenuity; this cost-effective small operational device has introduced a new line of compact handheld power tools.
With this device, depth cuts are no problem. It has easy depth adjustment levers that can be lowered or raised to your preferred level. An angle of 45 degrees will ensure that your wood-cutting works look like a piece of art.
A dust port lets you attach a vacuum which will suck up all the nasty sawdust and ensure that your eyes only focus on your work piece. Blade changing has also been made efficient by using a spindle lock.
- High-performance motor of DEWALT 7 1/4 circular saw delivers 4000 RPM's for aggressive cutting
- 6-1/2-inch carbide tooth blade of the cordless circular saw delivers a 2-1/8' cutting capacity for a variety of cutting...
- Beveling shoe of the compact circular saw piviots up to 50 degrees for non-traditional cutting applications
- Contoured Overmolded Handle optimized for increased comfort
- 6.5lbs Compact Saw helps reduce jobsite fatigue
If aggressive cutting is your forte, then this device will pique your interest.
It has a high-performance motor that deals with many hard materials that are difficult to cut by delivering 4000 RPMs of pure muscle; a 50 degrees bevel capacity ensures that every cut you make counts.
The weight and balance of this power tool are amazing, being only 6.5lbs, which will help reduce fatigue when working for prolonged periods.
It is battery-powered and uses 20 volts to deliver a motile yet powerful experience of cutting. This makes it a perfect companion for people doing routine housework.
Buyer’s Guide for Circular Saws
Circular saws are characterized by the size of their blades. They are available in many sizes, and choosing the appropriate one is crucial for the job being done. The most common sizes range from 5 ¼ to 7 ¼ inches.
For an all-purpose job, the 7¼-inch blade size is better suited, while a 5¼-inch blade may work better for small task DIYs.
The 8¼-inch type is convenient for heavy-duty jobs.
Each blade size provides a different cutting depth. A general trend is that as the blade size increases, the amount of depth also increases. Simultaneously, the cost also goes up with the size, and so does the weight.
The speed of a circular saw is measured in Revolutions per minute (RPM); an RPM of 3500 to 5000 is most helpful for all kinds of jobs. More RPM means having better control to make the cuts. The number of feet that the blade rotates in a minute is called “Surface Feet per Minute,” or SFM.
Different blades require different speeds; because of the blade teeth that need to pierce through the material. The diameter of the blade is also a key determinant for adjusting the speed of the saw. A bigger diameter will cut through the material more easily.
Types of Blades
There are different blades for each job; these include:
- Cross-cut blades – best suited for cutting wood, have lesser teeth.
- Rip cut blades – favorable for wood, have more teeth.
- Combination blades – they can make both cross-cuts and continuous linear cuts.
- Specialty blades – all-purpose blades; can make fine cuts on any sort of material.
Base plates are usually made of,
- Cast metals- the cheapest of the three, it has a high weight but can be easily repaired. It is the most susceptible to damage.
- Aluminum- aluminum base plates are the most common; they are sturdy and lightweight. Their only con is that they cost a bit more.
- Magnesium- is the newest material for the baseplates; it is the most sturdy one but costs a lot more than the other two choices.
This is a distinct safety feature. A standard add-on in professional and expensive circular saws. For the safety and amenity of the user, the electric brakes reduce accidental injuries.
Electric brakes reverse the current flowing through the saw motor to quickly stop the rotation of the blade when the trigger is released. Saws with electric brakes can stop the blade much quicker than saws without the brakes.
The shaft or spindle lock is another safety feature; it facilitates the stoppage of the blades when you are done working. The blade can be unscrewed easily because of this lock-on button feature. On right-handed saws, the bolt is tightened counterclockwise. With left-handed circular saws, screwing in a clockwise direction does the job.
A bevel stop is a feature that allows you to preset the angle of the blade relative to the workpiece. This is important because it allows you to repeat the same cut over and over again without having to measure the angle each time. It also ensures that your cuts are precise and consistent.
Most circular saws have a bevel stop that can be adjusted between 0 and 90 degrees. Some saws have a wider range, while others have less adjustability. The greater the degree of bevel stop, the higher the accuracy and ease of working.
Laser guidance improves the accuracy of cuts by guiding cuts against a light. Refined straight cuts can be made by taking advantage of this feature. For beginners, this can be an exploitable feature.
The use of lasers with circular saws has been a debatable topic. It has been particularly beneficial to some users, while others consider it a vestigial feature.
To some users, the visibility of light is very little, and the inability to direct the laser when making angled cuts by use of laser has been a feature to laugh at. We believe that it is always helpful to have extra features.
Corded saws are best suited for heavy work. This includes cutting through hard materials for different processes- such as masonry, steel, and woodcutting. Power is measured by amps (Amperes) on corded saws; a higher value equals more cutting power. This defines the ability of the tool motor to not overheat when working for prolonged periods.
A Cordless saw generally works better for cutting wood and wood structures. Their cutting power is measured in volts; a higher volt equals more cutting power. It also is directly proportional to the speed and torque of the power tool.
Another measurement is the Ampere-hours rating. Amp-hour on the battery pack indicates how long it will run. A higher amp-hour means having a higher charge value on a fully charged battery.